Friday, September 19, 2014

Gratitude Challenge, day six

By Jack Brummet

Gratitude Challenge - day 6

I am grateful for

Those who are gone.
Those are still here.
Those who are still coming.



Mindfulness is about being here now, but much of what we are now stems from what has gone before.  I still hit the occasional speed-bump, but I am as happy now, or happier, than I ever have been, and much of that stems from those who are gone, from my father who departed 51 years ago to Jerry Melin and Pete and Pat who left much more recently, to my brother in law Colin, and all the other friends and family who didn't quite make the journey this far.  I am in Spokane tonight to celebrate the life of Joanie Curran, whom I knew for 46 years, and who helped teach so many of us the importance of loving and celebrating with laughter, songs, and delight those who are still here.  I need to do this.  Every single time in my life I ever saw Joanie, she lit me up with her love and hugs and happiness at having you back in her orbit, if only for a short while.  When I came to see her a month ago none of that had changed.  She joins the list of those who are gone, but I'll remember that love and lust for life as long as I am still here.

 "Dude, you really married up, didn't you?" 

Those who are still here makes life, life.  You wake up grateful, and happy that you and your friends and family are still here.  I want to communicate my gratitude to those who are still here every single time I see them--not merely for the fact that they have somehow persisted, but because they inspire, warm, and thrill me.  They make my heart sing every single day of this beautiful life. Speaking of still here, KeeKee inspires me every day with her mindfulness and equilibrium and the way she can walk up to anyone in a room and envelop them with that brilliant mind and laugh and 150 watt   smile.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard variations on "Dude, you really married up, didn't you?".  So, on day 6, a callback to day one, KeeKee's original appearance on my gratitude lists.

To those who are still coming: whether we share a bloodline or not, if you eventually arrive at this much joy and wonder and admiration for those here, gone, and coming,  the circle of life is still in great shape.   Welcome.
---o0o---

No comments: