Sunday, March 02, 2008

Why Obama and Hillary both suck on the issue of gay marriage




Barack Obama "supports civil unions," but is against gay marriage. In an Chicago Daily Tribune interview, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." [ed note: does this sentence make any more sense to you than it does to me?]


"Giving them a set of basic rights would allow them to experience their relationship and live their lives in a way that doesn't cause discrimination," Obama said. "I think it is the right balance to strike in this society." [ed. note: isn't this the same sort of argument people once used for why blacks should not be able to vote?]


click to enlarge


Hillary Clinton also opposes gay marriage and supports civil unions between members of the same sex. Hillary was quoted in The New York Daily News saying: "Marriage has got historic, religious and moral content that goes back to the beginning of time, and I think a marriage is as a marriage always has been, between a man and a woman." [ed note: only slightly more palatable gibberish that her opponent].
---o0o---

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the case of the Clintons, marriage is between a man and a woman and another woman and another woman and another woman ... Now that I read it back, I'm not sure if my comment is about Bill or the persistent rumors that Hillary is a lesbian.