Friday, October 20, 2006

Sting has rocked his last

Take it with however many grains of salt you wish, but Sting recently blasted all contemporary rock music as so stagnant that he prefers to sing 16th century English ballads.

The former teacher who shot to fame as lead singer, bassist and songwriter in the 1970s and 80s for The Police told German newspaper Die Zeit that he prefers singing songs of Elizabethan lutenist and composer John Dowland to the rock music of today. Please. I don't see how someone who played, wrote, and sang his last decent song in 1980 is in a position to hurl brickats. I have to guess that no one in the modern rock scene is either to choked up, or too surprised to know Sting now prefers the music of Shakespeare's contemporaries.

Maybe the "adult contemporary" crowd is buying this demented gibberish, but I doubt it. I think all that tantric sex has somehow caused a dangerous blowback into his cerebral cortex.

Jack, sore from last week's hip dislocation, but on the mend, in Austin, Texas,
Where rock and roll is very alive & well
---o0o---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but he was pretty gnarly in Dune! Good to see he still has the black leather thing going.

Anonymous said...

I've never understood the love people had for The Police. 3-4 middling records, and then decades of adoration. If I hear "Every Breath You Take" again, I will commit violence against my person.