Sunday, December 19, 2004

Three By Ronald Reagan

Three great quotes from Ronald "Dutch" Reagan, POTUS 40. My friend Dan has noted that I like Republican Presidents once they are out of office for a while. That is true, certainly, of Richard Nixon, and less of Pres. Reagan. I'm not sure I'll ever be similarly so favorably disposed to the current president or his father (who I never really disliked, other than his policies and politics). Unlike Presidents Bush (POTUS Numbers 41 and 43), Ronald Reagan had a real sense of humor. And, as you'll note below, great writers. President Reagan died earlier this year.


It's hard when you're up to your armpits in alligators to remember you came here to drain the swamp.
Ronald Reagan February 10, 1982

The government's view of the economy can be summed up in a few short phrases. It if moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan,White House Conference on Small Business, August 15, 1986

Government is like a baby. It is an alimentary canal with an appetite at one end and a no sense of responsibility at the other.
Remarks before Joint Session of the Canadian Parliament, Ottawa, March11, 1981

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few you missed...

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting."

"I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

"Just to show you how youthful I am, I intend to campaign in all 13 states."

"The last bunch of pickets were carrying signs that said 'Make love, not war.' The only trouble was they didn't look capable of doing either."

"Today, if you invent a better mousetrap, the government comes along with a better mouse."

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes. (During radio microphone test)"