Monday, November 22, 2004

McCain Not Ruling Out Run for President

Good. It would be a pleasure to cross swords with The Senator. Although my Republican friends are skeptical, I think he'd be a great and formidable candidate. Of all the GOP possibles, I find him the most attractive. He's even someone I'd consider voting for. . .if I wasn't a Yellow Dog Democrat.

So, the potential G.O.P. lineup seems to be (at the moment) Gov. Mitt Romney, possibly Rudy Giuliani (although I think his personal conduct may be a little hard to swallow, especially for the new republican core), and Sen. McCain. But then, Sen. Frist--who still feels a little obscure to the general public--may be a possibility too. And what about Mark Racicot? I thought he'd make a strong candidate too. I don't know what his next gig is after the election. He would go into the game without a political office--which has its upside too: he could begin campaigning very early.

The Dems? What do we have: apparent front-runner Sen. Clinton. There's Sen. Kerry (unlikely, I think. Have we given anyone a second crack at it since Adlai Stevenson?). Senator Edwards. . .who I thought didn't measure up to his primary performance in the election. Ex Veep Al Gore (also unlikely). I suspect at least one more Governor and one more Senator may emerge. . .no, I don't suspect, I hope!

Sun Nov 21,11:46 PM ET

By WILLIAM C. MANN, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., said Sunday he is not ruling out a run for the 2008 presidential nomination, but that he is not a candidate now. A decision to run, if one should come, would not be made for at least two years, said McCain, speaking only a few weeks after the 2004 campaign ended with President Bush (news - web sites) winning a second term.
AP Photo

"Look, I'm not running for president," McCain told NBC's "Meet the Press," and added: "I do not foreclose the option."
McCain, a senator since 1986, made a strong run for the Republican nomination in 2000 but lost to Bush in a bitter campaign.
Still, McCain added his popularity to Bush's re-election campaign this year after rejecting overtures from Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) to join the Democratic ticket as the vice presidential candidate.
"There will be plenty of time to consider whether to run for president again, but certainly I don't think it's in any way appropriate for me to speculate on that at this time," McCain said on NBC.
He was asked when that time might come.
"I would think at least not for a couple of years," McCain said.
"You know, the president hasn't even been inaugurated yet. Isn't it a little unseemly for any of us to start on that path again?"
At least one prominent Republican, Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska, already has said he is considering a 2008 run for the White House.
If McCain were to run, he would turn 72 on Aug. 29, 2008, at the height of the campaign. Only President Reagan was older at his inauguration — 73 at the start of his second term.
Asked whether age might be a factor in his decision whether to run, McCain said: "Yes, I think that would have to be a consideration," he replied. However, he said, "I have a wonderful mother who is 92. Maybe I could use her as an example."

No comments: